Saturday, December 19, 2009


It is hard to believe it is p day again already! BUT I am not complaining! This week has been fast. We had our zone conference in Sergipe (the other state that my mission includes) with all the missionaries serving there. It was also our Christmas conference. It was a lot of fun! I got to meet a lot of elders, and get to know a few of the other sisters better. Each district acted out a little skit or something. It was funny! My group acted out the scripture 2 Kings 2: 23-25 (I think!) Me and my companion dressed up as bears.. kind of! Everyone laughed! President Beynon gave a talk about Jesus Christ and His Atonement. It was really neat. We watched a short video clip and he just cried. Then he got up and said he was crying because of the sacrifice Jesus Christ made for us, but also for the sacrifice of each missionary. He knows this time is hard to be away from family, and to be working hard here. He is such a neat man. His wife is amazing too. I am so grateful for them! Then on Saturday night and Sunday morning we had Stake Conference! It was super neat as well! Craig Zwick, Sister Beck, Elder Scott and Elder Eyring all spoke.. in Portuguese! Except Elder Eyring. But it was really neat! Elder Eyring talked about us being in a soccer game (cuz soccer is HUGE here!) About how the Salt Lake team unexpectedly beat LA because the LA star player missed a goal in the shootout because he lost his concentration for one second. So.. we need to never lose our concentration, our desire to always try to live right and work hard and serve others, because Satan is waiting for that one tiny moment, when he will attack. There is a recent convert, of about 3 months, here in the ward. He is a 24 year old man who left the world of drinking, drugs, colored hair, earings.. ect. In order to be baptized and enjoy the blessings of the gospel. He has been SO strong. He does visits with us, and wants to become a better member. Aw. He is such a neat guy. But yesterday he called us crying and said he needed help. We went to his house and he had been drinking… since Sunday. He didn’t go to church and had started a new job and someone offered him alcohol and he had a weak moment and accepted. He said it was because he is sad that his dad wont let anyone from the church into their house. None of his family accepted the church, or even the lessons from the missionaries. He is doing it all alone and I know it has to be SO hard. It made me so sad, he was so sad, he didn’t like the state he was in and I know all he needs are more friends and support from the members. We are going to do all that we can to help him and I know he will pull through and stay strong in the gospel and continue to be blessed by it. I am so grateful for all of my friends and family that I have to support me in this gospel, and here on a mission. I would not be able to do it without it! Thank you all so much! I love you!!Love. Sister Porath

No comments:

Post a Comment